Friday, January 16, 2009

Writers block is nonsense

Heh, heh, I bet if you're reading this you're probably saying "she's finally flipped her lid," (Hey, I heard that!) when it comes to the statement I made on my label post for this blog.
Is there really such a thing as writers block? I say a big NO. Writers have creative minds and creative minds don't just freeze for ideas. A writer must write something on a regular basis no matter what or they don't feel complete. Does this sound like you?
Here is my take on said subject. Sipping my coffee early this morning whilst still in my PJ's, - (The snowmen one's with the quarter size red light in the middle of my chest that blinks a happy snowman face with every little move I make. Thank you grand kids!) I blankly stared out our kitchen window with my mind still in neutral. Contemplating my outside surroundings I thought about all the things I could write about if I felt like it. #1. Bags of trash sitting on the driveway's edge along side our new recycle "see through" bags awaited dump trucks for a ride to their final destinations. Article/story idea! How's all that stuff sorted out for recycling anyway? What are the various steps from trash bag to a new identity as a "made from recycled products" gets stamped on their new transformation? #2. There is a patch of ugly fungus on our lawn. The bug people spray it once a month to keep it from spreading it's ilk. Article/story idea! How will all these pesticides affect the water table 7 yrs. from now? Why is Fla. still using pesticides that have been outlawed in most other states, etc. #3. Two houses on my street are up for sale. Article/story idea! Is there still hope for a timely sale? Tips on what to do and what to avoid during our nat'l mortgage crisis. #4. A woman drives by in her golf cart in her spiffy tennis outfit. Article/story idea! (I could probably fit this into a new romantic story) Maybe she's dressed to kill because she's met a handsome widower on the courts and is competing for his attention because she knows her best friend is after him also. #5. On my way to the back lanai to clean out the litter box I notice my lone neighbor is back home from being gone for two weeks. He takes off for two or three weeks every other month. Where does he go? Why hasn't he made friends with anyone around here? Why is he such a recluse? He leaves his window shades up night and day. He's weird. Maybe he's a recluse for a very good reason. Idea! Good start of a mystery here or short story.
Writers block? Me thinks not! Anything I mentioned above could also be incorporated into various situations. Story ideas are all around us. Soooo, dear pensmiths, if you're out of ideas for what to write about, take a look around your immediate surroundings. The ideas may not quickly fit into whatever genre you're into these days but think outside the box. Write your thoughts down on a pad of paper, computer or whatever trips your trigger. I betcha a dollar to a donut, you'll surprise yourself!
See ya' on the 22nd at 10:00 a.m. - Lady Lake Library.
Share your thoughts on what I've just ranted about. Go ahead, tear me apart. My shoulders are broad. Ha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoу looking through an artісle that will make men and
women thіnk. Also, thank уou foг allowing
me tо comment!

Мy web site ... search engine optimization dallas